Here are our Century Wavemaster punching bag reviews. We consider four Century Wavemaster punching bags. Each of them are suitable for different types of martial arts and martial artists. All four Wavemaster punching bags are free standing which means they do not swing and do not require wall or ceiling attachments which is very useful if you lack space. The punch bags in question range from short and bulky to tall and slim. Each of them can be filled with either sand or water, depending on your requirements. Sand is generally better at ensuring sturdiness. They all have round bases so that they can be easily rolled and relocated if necessary.
Century Martial Arts are a highly regarded manufacturer and supplier of martial arts equipment. While they are US based, their products are sold globally, including in the UK and Canada. They have been around since 1976 and are now regarded as an innovative market leader. They have numerous sponsors and endorsers, including well known martial artists, boxers and actors.
This is our Century Wavemaster Original review.
Despite being the first model, it is still remarkably popular and continues to be suitable for a wide range of martial arts. These are the key points to keep in mind:
1. Dimensions. The bag is 13 inches in diameter and 26 inches tall. The base is 24 inches in diameter and 19.5 inches tall. When filled with water its approximate weight is 270lb.
2. Adjustable Height. You can adjust the height of this bag. There are seven possible settings, the lowest being 47 inches and the highest 68 inches. This height range is large enough so that it will be suitable for most people.
3. High-Density Foam. The bag is padded with high-density foam to provide adequate shock absorption and to help protect your knuckles and wrists.
4. Movement. As you can see from the picture and tell from the dimensions above, the base is relatively large. The purpose of this is to give sturdiness to the bag and reduce movement and tipping, something the high-density foam also helps with. The Wavemaster Original is even better at lower heights due to reduced rotational motion.
Note: You may have noticed that this punch bag has a reasonably small striking surface. If you train in a martial art which focusses exclusively on a small area then this bag would be ideal. If, however, you are looking for a taller punch bag for a more varied workout, perhaps the Wavemaster XXL or the Wavemaster Cardio would suit you more.
This is our Century Wavemaster Powerline review.
1. Dimensions. The bag is 17.5 inches in diameter and 26 inches tall. The base is 24 inches in diameter. When filled with water it weighs approximately 270lb.
2. Adjustable Height. It features, like the Wavemaster Original, seven height adjustments ranging from 47 inches to 68 inches (from the floor to the top of the bag). This range should be suitable for the vast majority of people.
3. High-Density Foam. One major difference to the Wavemaster Original is the Wavemaster Powerline has twice as much high-density foam. This is largely because people found the Original moved too much during kickboxing or martial arts heavily reliant on kicking.
4. Large Base. Note that, like the Wavemaster Original, the base is wide and large. It is designed this way to reduce bag movement.
We will now move on to the two taller punch bags: the Wavemaster XXL and the Wavemaster Cardio, both of which are taller and thinner, making them more suited to martial arts such as karate and jujitsu.
This is our Century Wavemaster XXL review.
As you can see from the picture, the Wavemaster XXL is completely different to the Wavemaster Original and the Wavemaster Powerline.
1. Dimensions. It is 18 inches in diameter and 69 inches tall.
2. Easy Assembly. It can be assembled/disassembled in under 5 minutes. Really the only major thing you need to do to assemble the XXL is to screw the bag to the base.
3. Large Surface Area. The surface area is very large, much larger than the Wavemaster Original. You can practise kicks, punches, etc. all at different heights without needing to adjust it. In fact, this punch bag cannot be adjusted which is fine because it already caters for a wide range of heights.
4. Multi-Layer Foam Interior. The bag is padded with multiple layers of foam. This provides extra comfort and allows for increased shock absorption which results in reduced rocking and moving.
5. Outdoor Use. This punch bag is suitable for use outdoors. Of course, all of the usual rules of outdoor use apply. For instance, leaving any punch bag outside for extended periods of time is probably not the best of ideas due to weathering, especially if you live in a harsh environment. The round base will help you move the punch bag outside.
6. High Durability. The Wavemaster XXL is highly durable. The XXL is frequently used in dojos because of the fact that it is long lasting. The bag is coated with durable vinyl.
This is our Century Wavemaster Cardio review.
This punch bag is sometimes referred to as the Century Aerobic Wavemaster.
1. Cardio Training. The Wavemaster Cardio is different to the other three bags because it is designed for cardio training, rather than to build strength. If you are looking to build strength then the most similar bag to this one designed for strength building is the Wavemaster XXL.
2. Dimensions. The bag is 10.5 inches in diameter and 40 inches tall. The base is 22 inches in diameter. The weight is approximately 170lb when filled with water.
3. Large Surface Area. Like the Wavemaster XXL this bag has a large surface area which allows for kicks and punches and different heights, making it ideal for mixed martial arts and the like. As with the other bags, this one is padded with high-density foam.
4. Adjustable Height. The Wavemaster Cardio has four height adjustments between 53.5 inches and 65.5 inches. Due to the large height of the punch bag, these height adjustments should be more than suitable for both taller and shorter people.